Monday, July 18, 2011

The art of the melt down...




Totally had one of those mommy moments today.  Cedric is now entering into tantrum city.  A place I'm sure he will reside in for quite awhile...he is a stubborn child.  I was pumped to take the kids to the library.  I had "envisioned" a happy family outing.  The kids would play, pick out books and I might even find one for myself.  Ummmm... yeah...instead I got a lovely toddler melt down in a quiet library along with a plethora of stares and dagger eyes my way.  Cedric is a very social baby.  He loves people and especially other kids.  So at the play area in the library he was having a blast playing along side other kids.  I was trying to give my oldest his own space of coolness and self discovery with being allowed to walk alone in the kids section while finding his book.  Honestly, I was stalking him...he was on the other side of a short bookcase, but felt worlds away...he wasn't standing beside me. (Helicopter mom....me?...maybe) Ha! I was stalking all while trying to keep an eye on Cedric.  Well, Cedric doesn't understand personal space just yet and started trying to steal other kids seats...not so bad...except they were still sitting in them!!!  So I pulled him away from the situation and "tried" to help Spencer find a book.  The yelling, flailing of limbs and downright devil soon came out of Cedric.  So needless to say I have no idea what book Spencer got, he grabbed one and we darted for the exit.  I did try to distract him with pretend enthusiasm while I looked super fast for a book on the way to the exit.  He didn't buy it.  I was super lucky and did score the book I was searching for at the checkout.  Someone had just returned it and it was sitting on the counter.  I'm super excited to read The Help.  It looks like a fun read and so maybe, just maybe the melt down was all part of the luck of me finding my book.   

Tonight calls for ice cream, a movie, and a good book...off to make those things happen : )

2 comments:

Tiff said...

Timothy is going through the same phase!

~Nikki Pullen said...

Wishing us both a short " melt down phase" : )